Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Bit of a Rough Day

Thursdays are always a little bit rough simply because it is such an early shift. The Center opens at 7am and because I have to commute from East Lansing, I usually need to leave my apartment at about 5:15am or so, so I can get gas and account for any traffic I might hit. Of course, that has me waking up at about 4:30am or so and the odds of me going to bed at 8:30pm the night before to assure eight hours of sleep are pretty low.

Anyhow, my day starts off very early. Aside from being tired though, today was especially difficult. A robin came into the center today after being caught by a cat. Whenever we get a call about a bird being caught by a cat, we always advise the caller to try to bring the bird in. Cats can carry bacteria in their saliva that can be harmful to birds. The most common bacterium is Pasteurella multocida and some sources I have seen say that as many as 90% of cats can carry it. When infected with the bacteria, birds can die within 24 hours from septicaemia even without showing any symptoms. For this reason, all cat-caught birds that we receive are treated with Amoxicillin, an antiobiotic that can treat against the bacteria.

Upon evaluating this robin, we sadly found that he had been severely wounded. He had several deep puncture wounds and his wing appeared to be broken. His injuries were serious enough that we knew we could not release him. Only a few minutes away is the Ann Arbor Animal Hospital, with whom we work closely. When we do get birds that are too injured to help, we feel like the most humane option is to euthanize the bird at this facility. It is not an easy decision for any of us at the Center to make and no one enjoys doing it. However, allowing the bird to suffer is something we are even less willing to do.

Despite knowing this is the kindest thing we can do for the bird, it is never easy for me. It is hard to drive an animal to the Animal Hospital when I know exactly what I'm bringing the bird into. In fact, I would be lying if I said that it never occurred to me to say I was bringing a bird to the Hospital after my shift was over and then just take the bird home with me. However, it's important to remember that it is selfish for us to keep a bird alive in pain and suffering when it has no chance at a natural life again. Like I said, the kindest thing we can offer is a painless way out.

I took a class at Michigan State taught by one of the most popular Zoology professors on campus. While he did teach a structured curriculum, some of the most important things I have learned about the field are bits of advice from his experience. One thing he advised that stuck with me was that as I move forward in my career (which I hope to be in the zoo business), I will meet people who disagree and do not like what I am doing. While this is likely applicable to any area of work, the zoo business is especially controversial. While this is something I like to address more in my other blog, Zoo-Logic, I find it is just as relevant here.

Since I have started at the Bird Center, I have been confronted about the fact that we need to euthanize some birds that are brought to us. This person openly disagreed with it and proceeded to tell me that if I truly cared about animals, I would not be able to make the decision to put one down. Thanks to this professor of mine, I knew this moment would come but I was in no way prepared for it. To be honest, I was quite put off that someone could say I don't care about animals when I have dedicated so much time and effort into an education and experiences that reflect quite the opposite.

Specific to the Center, I drive 60 miles each way three days a week. I'm an unpaid intern and gas prices have been through the roof. I am not working anywhere else at the moment either as I have classes this summer. I've realized it costs me about $23 in gas for each day I go to the Center. At 3 days a week for 14 weeks, I am making the drive 42 days in total give or take a day. With those figures, I'm paying almost $1,000 out of pocket for this internship that I do not need for my degree. Of course, I am appreciating the hands-on experience and it is another element to add to my resume. However, I deeply care about the work we are doing at the Bird Center and I am very passionate about helping animals.

It does hurt to think that some people do not see what we are doing as a good cause. However, my professor told me that you can't please everyone and that as long as you feel like you are making a difference, that is what counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment